Brown Girl Studio

Mom. Wife. Grad Student. Yogini. Wannabe Designer.

Monday, December 04, 2006

By the Bug

....so as I was saying, I've been seriously bit by a creative bug this fall. Not only have I been buying way too many magazines



and way too much yarn and knitting more than I can keep pace with (in terms of photos to show you), I have also been struck with an urge to design my own patterns. For everything. I've been teaching myself to crochet (1/4th of a scarf done !!!) and have turned back to my absolute passion for sewing and designing. Yeah, Spouse added fuel to the fire when he surprised me with a brand new sewing machine for my birthday. Yeah, he's just that kind of guy. I had only said in passing, Gee I would love to have my own sewing machine one day to get back to my sewing and bam! there it was, next to my desk in my wee-little room that I call My Space with a card and a note that reminded me to make something for him too. It's not a Serger, it's not fancy, but it's enough to get me back on track to where I always wanted to be. I've been buying fabric and cutting shears and sketching my little butt off, too.




I have a sketch that I'm working on now for a halter dress in a beautiful fabric that I found almost two years ago and put aside for that One Day. At the middle of the dress, just beneath the breast, is a seed stitch knitted band, cumberbund style, designed to cinch the waist and to add a little sexiness. I'm going to cut the pattern in muslin first, just to make sure I get the right fit and shaping, sew it up and see what I get before I cut the real fabric. What I'm hoping to do is blend the three disciplines in my designs -- sewing, knit, and crochet. I absolutely love clothing that has just that one little added touch that makes it special. A simple blouse can be turned into something entirely different if it has beadwork or some kind of enbroidery or an interesting collar or border. I'm also working on several girly-girl purses. Some for my daughter and some for me during the summer, when you just want a little flirty something, just enough for the wallet, the book, the phone and maybe the planner. I even stumbled on this little joint here, that'll has lots of really nice handles at good prices.

So anyway, that's where I am now, if you've been wondering ....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Craft on Sistah!

Necia

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home