Brown Girl Studio

Mom. Wife. Grad Student. Yogini. Wannabe Designer.

Sunday, October 01, 2006

That Was Then .... This is Now

I always wanted to know what the big deal about socks was. Wanted to know why anyone would spend so much time on something so ridiculous as a knit sock, for goodness sake. No one's going to see them underneath your pants. No one's going to know that you agonized for days over whether you want this kind of heel or that one ... and after all, what difference does it make anyhow, I thought. Just put on the damn sock and go about your business. Are you really, at the end of the day, going to feel better with a sock that has one heel over a sock that has another? Come on. Get real.

That was then.

This is now.

Because knitting is not about who sees your work, who cares about your work, or even who puppy-dogs over your work and says that it's beautiful. Knitting is not about what makes sense to be knitted and what doesn't. Knitting isn't even about the utalitarian-ness (if that's a word) of what you're knitting. Knitting is about your own happiness and making something that, once you put it on, you feel like you're wrapped in love; something that when you stand back and look at it you say, Hey that's not made in some far off land, no sweatshop, that's made by me.

So....

I made a sock. And needless to say, there's nothing like a tired foot slipped into a handmade sock.

This is my VERY first, knit on a not-so-socky yarn and on size 3 bamboo clovers (i know.... that's big!) but i figured that at the least i would a) have a sock that I could wear in my boots when I go skiing or tubing with the kids and b) have stitches that were large enough for me to see my errors AND be able to correct them.








I wouldn't have had this absolute pleasure without my dear friend S who helped me from the very first cast on....and the gusset, which I still think is the hardest part, which I needed a friend at work to help me with.

So every now and then I slip my little sock on, knowing now what the big fuss is all about ....

and hurrying to finish the second one before the first frost!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Angel,

Get ready! Socks truly are addicting! I tied to not fall Vic, but I did. I swear I find it hard to knit anything else. However, I want you my dear, cyber buddy to know, I did cast on for the shawl/tubular thing yesterday. So, if you are still knitting this, we can finally have that KAL. Ha. I'm up to row 3.

Necia

8:13 AM  
Blogger Angel said...

What shawl tubular thing? Talking about the capelet? No, honey, I finished that a long time ago. I'll upload a photo of it. :>)

A.

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home