Brown Girl Studio

Mom. Wife. Grad Student. Yogini. Wannabe Designer.

Friday, October 13, 2006

Perfect-itis

Necia commented on the previous post and said something that my knit friend, JM, at work repeated....."Angel, come on out of that shell!"

I was telling JM how much I'd love to make this:



from the Fall Issue of Vogue Knits. And JM's thing is, "Well, what are you waiting for? You've gotta come out of that shell."

See, the issue with me is that I have a serious case of Perfectitis. My problem is not that I don't want to make beautiful and amazing and intricately designed beauties, it's that I want those beautiful and amazing and intricately designed beauties to come out RIGHT.....the first time. I absolutely hate making mistakes because I don't always know how to even fix the mistakes ... I have to schlep off to the LYS for help ... which is beyond annoying and, if I'm honest, intimidating. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one still stuck in first gear. Not only that, I'm not the best with selecting yarns. Some of these patterns call for yarn that's just a little bit beyond my budget (well, beyond my budget because I spend too much on books, but that's another story) and let's face it, it's not the design that makes it beautiful, it's the yarn.

So, take this Fair Isle for instance. I don't know a thing about switching yarns from one color to the next, which is why I really want to do it in a solid first. Second of all, I've never knit off of a chart and some of these charts are just downright confusing. You'd think a person who works in an Intensive Care Unit with wires and cables and tubes and I.V. lines all over the place could figure out a damn pattern....but no. I'm just one of those visual people who has to see things, has to have it laid out and clear as water.

So, needless to say, I'm gonna look for a KAL for this one. A group of folks who'll put up with my thousand and one questions. Let me know if you find one.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angel,

I'll help you pick a yarn for this. I'm about to leave for the gym now, but I'm willing to bet Knit Picks will have something you can use! I'm going to take the mag with me to the gym, and think about it there. Ain't nothing like yarn to get the heart rate up!

Necia

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:40 AM  
Blogger Angel said...

Necia - you're the greatest. Wish you lived 'round the corner girl. I've been looking at the Knit Picks catalogue too. Main thing I need to know -- because it's written for color changes -- is just how many balls I REALLY need, if I'm not doing all of the color changes?

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home