Brown Girl Studio

Mom. Wife. Grad Student. Yogini. Wannabe Designer.

Monday, May 29, 2006

Where the Mind Goes

I was sitting on my deck yesterday, plugging along at my pretty little capelet below and became suddenly conscious of how my mind was drifting away.....tipping out of the room of my current consciousness (chitter-chatter between the kids, playful screams from the kids across the way, the dog scurrying around, etc, etc -- you know the drill) and into random thoughts of this and that. My mind was making a million little mental notes but not in a stressful kind of way. It was just a tender friendliness to remember to do this or mail that or call this person or another. And I thought about how much I love knitting for just this reason. I like sitting there, productive the whole time but drifting into and out of my thoughts. I like sitting down for just a moment to be with my thoughts like that. And I like the way the thoughts come to me .... not like those morning, turn off the alarm and jump out of bed kind of thoughts .... but more of a.....oh, I don't know.....a different consciousness of some kind. Just gentle. And while I'm nowhere near the skill level that my sisterfriends are on these blogs that I jump to .... I feel happy for how far I have come. I thought I'd forever be stuck on knitting five foot scarves.

Anyhow, thanks to Necia and Josiane and Nakachi and Mary-Heather for coming to the rescue this weekend for much needed pattern interpretation help. I'm still such a newbie .... still in a state of panic when I don't understand the directions.
I suppose I'll get past that sooner or later and the language won't feel so foreign.

Hope your weekend's been a good one.

Peace,
A.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lyrically speaking said...

I enjoyed reading your blog, your thoughts on paper speaks volumes of creativity. Keep up the good work.

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home